Saturday, March 6, 2010

The challenges of an insomniac

Some of you know that I have had my ups and downs with this seemingly simple task called "Sleep". For some of you, it's easy. Go about your day, grow tired, climb into bed, fall asleep, sleep, wake up rested. While I understand that not every night is like this and many times you may sleep, but may not wake up rested, usually due to not enough sleep, which in turn is usually due to our self inflicted hectic schedules. Jon routinely stays up to the wee hours of the morning working on his sermon. I bet CG has gotten less than the recommended amount of sleep many a night due to her frantic attempt to get done the thousands of pages of research papers about a spice I have in my spice drawer. Then there's my poor friend Sarah who no matter how much she sleeps, still is not rested.

In college I went a month....yes, I kid you not (CG and Jon remember)...a month I didn't sleep. I would lie down in bed (sometimes with my head at the foot of the bed) and try so hard to fall asleep. I would rest but never actually fall asleep. Well, my old friend (rather annoying enemy) surprised me last week. No idea why, but I got out of bed I on Friday morning annoyed that I didn't sleep the night before. We had a big weekend ahead, so I did my usual work and keeping up with Joseph and kept going going going. My mom came on Saturday (after another night with no sleep) and did the same. Sunday was crazy! Church then back to feed the Chechile Clan for lunch (18 people for lunch--14 of whom came from VT). Then back to the church for Jon's Ordination Ceremony (YEAH!! He's officially "The Reverend Jonathan Daniel Chechile)!!! Once that was all said and done, got back home and it was a quick change out of my short skirt and tall boots (yes, I AM a pastor's wife and I still wore that!) and it was off to the airport to drop my sis in law off. Back home and to bed. No sleep. You'd think once this was all said and done I would have slept. Nope. A Monday of errands and then relaxing evening, went to bed and guess what?? I DIDN"T SLEEP AGAIN!!!! Tuesday I got up like a zombie. Jon bought me a pepsi to get through the day with Joseph and advil pm for the night. I basically spent the day on the couch watching Gilmore Girls and Joseph playing (oh yeah, Joseph got a cold Monday night too...just to make life easier). Finally...right?? Oh wait...nope! No sleep yet again.

Wednesday night I slept. Ahhh. A bit better. Thank God, cuse we had a family over for dinner (with 3 little girls under 3).

It's getting better, but I'm still recuperating from the stretch of no sleep that invaded my body.

Now I must go and do all the work for Sunday morning service that I usually try to do on Thursday.

Sleep well my friends and wake up every morning grateful that you slept.

No comments: