Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gelatin

gel⋅a⋅tin
[jel-uh-tn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like.
2. any of various similar substances, as vegetable gelatin.
3. a preparation or product in which such an animal or vegetable substance is the essential constituent.
4. an edible jelly made of this substance.
5. Also called gelatin slide. Theater. a thin sheet made of translucent gelatin colored with an aniline dye, placed over stage lights, and used as a color medium in obtaining lighting effects.
Also, gel⋅a⋅tine.


Origin:
1790–1800; < class="ital-inline">gélatine < class="ital-inline">gelātina, equiv. to L gelāt(us) frozen, thickened, ptp. of gelāre (gel- freeze + -ātus -ate 1 ) + -ina -in 2
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok..so I guess you could argue that it's "all natural", "organic" but THIS STUFF IS IN BABY FOOD!!!!! (Pot is "organic" too...I'm not giving that to my 7 month old...)

That's right. I actually looked at the ingredients of Gerber ( your know that famous baby face) baby food. Let's just say that there's more than apples and raspberries in the "apples and raspberries". Case in point why my mother's training when it comes to looking before putting something in your body and maybe choosing something that is better for you has come to good use. Don't get me wrong, there were some things that took me years to get her to allow in our household (like Cheerios...the plain version, none other...that took till I was about 15 years old) and then there are other things like, Kraft Mac & Cheese. Oreos. Ohh...Oreos... But, I will admit that when it comes to MY child, I am much like my mom. "I'm not going to SPOON FEED my BABY...what was it now....a nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like." Yuck.

This is what I feed my baby (when I don't make something homemade)


Earth's Best
First Bananas
Ingredients: Organic bananas, water, citric acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

Ok, so here's the other...I couldn't find apples and raspberries, but this is the same "stage" I was looking at.

2nd FOODS Purees with DHA – Banana Peach Granola

Ingredients:WATER, FULLY RIPENED BANANAS, PEACH PUREE FROM CONCENTRATE (WATER, PEACH PUREE CONCENTRATE), APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE, WHOLE GRAIN OAT FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN RYE FLOUR, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, CITRIC ACID, TUNA OIL (SOURCE OF DHA), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), GELATIN, CALCIUM HYDROXIDE


I think that's a run-on sentence. Oh no. I don't think so.

Here's an even better comparison
Earth's Best
Peach Oatmeal Banana Fruit & Whole Grain Combinations
Ingredients: Organic peaches, water, organic apples, organic oat flour, organic bananas, ascorbic acid (vitamin c).

Pure numbers: The ingredients for the Gerber one is 4 FULL lines...Earth Best: 1.5

'nuf said.





My baby's not getting that Crap!...ok now...'nuf said.

1 comment:

cg said...

That's gross that there is gelatin in gerber baby food. That canNOT be healthy! Good for you for looking at the label, although let's just turn our eyes away to not see the ingredients in chocolate frosting, candy, or other goodies that life would be worse without.

8 DAYS!!!